Pilates is the new exercise trend and if you’ve decided to hop on the band wagon (like the rest of us) here are some tips to help you make sure that you don’t fall off!
1. Focus on your abs : Throughout your work out make sure to remember to keep your abs pulled inwards, towards your spine. This ensures proper posture and really works those transverse abdomens. Pilates focuses on the core and therefore each movement should be centered there.
2. Mind – Body control : Spacing out or just going on autopilot mode during your exercise is not advised. Pilates is all about connecting the body and the mind. Make sure you are focused on how your body is moving throughout the entire session. This includes making sure that your shoulders are pulled back, your abs are scooped inwards to your spine, and your breathing is in sync with your movements.
3. “No Pain No Gain” Is not the way to go! : If you feel that something is hurting or doesn’t feel right, STOP. Everyone’s body is different, you should never push your body to do something that it physically cannot. This can cause injuries or worsen an already sustained injury.
4. Slow Down : Try to slow your movements or hold a position for as long as you can during your last rep. Using momentum to power your movements is counterproductive, instead going slow will work your muscles more.
5. Be Patient : Results won’t show up the next day, but soreness might, so be patient. Doing short workouts and eating right everyday will tone your muscles and get you the body that you want.
Lastly, remember to stay hydrated and have fun! If you’re not having fun, maybe it’s not for you. There are many other ways to keep your body healthy and in high performance. But yoga is not one of them!